Gas Safety

Keeping your family safe is a number one priority.  Understanding the dangers around carbon monoxide can save lives.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that is very difficult to detect as you cannot see, smell or taste it.  You may not be aware of its presence until it is too late as it has no taste, smell or colour.

High levels of carbon monoxide exposure can prove to be fatal, even low exposure can cause lasting damage.

Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer and each year people die from carbon monoxide poisoning and many more are seriously injured.  For more information visit the CO Be Alarmed website.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be similar to flu.   If you are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning you may suffer from headaches, nausea, general lethargy, dizziness, flu-like symptoms that appear to get better when you are away from the area.

All appliances that burn wood or fossil fuels can emit carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is produced when these fuels are burned without adequate ventilation.  If you have a gas or wood burning heater, gas water heater or cooker you should fit a carbon monoxide alarm.